Fire causes heavy damage, displaces family


COVINGTON — A house fire caused heavy damage to a duplex in the village on Tuesday evening.

Miami County 9-1-1 dispatchers sent Covington Fire Department to a home on Ludlow Street at the corner of Chestnut around 10 p.m. after a fire was reported in the garage area of the single-story wood frame home.

Covington police arrived quickly and reported heavy flames showing from the attached garage and smoke coming from the eves of the home. Officers reported that the family had escaped the home but a dog was still inside.

As fire units began arriving on the scene, Covington fire officers requested mutual aide from Piqua, Bradford, and Pleasant Hill.

Firefighters immediately entered the burning home, located the family pet, and brought it to safety. The dog was treated at the scene by Covington Rescue Squad.

Heat led to firefighters relieving crews often as residents and family members brought water and wet towels to cool down overheated firefighters.

The fire was marked as “under control” around 11:30 p.m. and fire units cleared the scene around 1 a.m.

Chief Bart Weer of the Covington Fire Department said that all that is known, at this point, is that the fire began in the garage area. Investigators are working to determine the fire’s origin. No dollar loss is yet available.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist three adults and one pet.

One resident was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. Two firefighters were also treated for heat exhaustion. No one was transported.

No posts to display