Victim identifed in deadly Piqua shooting


PIQUA — One person is confirmed dead following a Saturday afternoon shooting in Piqua.

Deputy Chief Marty Grove of the Piqua Police Department identified the victim as Philip Tamar Howard, 37.

Grove said officers were sent to 1310 Fairfax Avenue in the Candlewood subdivision, around 1:30 p.m. on a report that someone had been shot.

Grove said, “Officers arrived to find a male deceased inside, suffering from a gunshot wound.”

Piqua detectives conducted interviews with witnesses to the shooting, one of whom allegedly shot Howard. No charges have yet been filed.

Howard’s body was transported to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office for autopsy.

According to the Miami County Communication Center’s 9-1-1 calls, a resident inside the home said he was in his bedroom when he heard a loud bang. He said he opened his door and Howard was on the ground.

“Somebody just shot somebody…I don’t think he’s alive,” the subject told dispatchers. “You got to hurry up, this guy is dying…I don’t know where he’s shot at.

As the dispatcher gathered information, the resident said, “I don’t know the person, I heard a bang and there he was …I didn’t know he was in the house…I don’t know who he is….I think he might of just died…I didn’t know the man had a gun.”

On Monday, Grove said that investigators have determined that there were three individuals in the apartment, besides the victim, when the shooting occurred, including a seven-year-old child. Everyone inside the apartment , with the exception of the victim, were related.

No arrests have yet been made and Grove said that all involved continue to be cooperative with police during this ongoing investigation. “Once we are done,” said Grove, ” it will be forwarded to the Miami County Prosecutors’s Office their review.”

Piqua police investigate a Saturday afternoon fatal shooting on Fairfax Ave. police investigate a Saturday afternoon fatal shooting on Fairfax Ave.

By Mike Ullery

No posts to display