For the Miami Valley Today
TIPP CITY — Tipp Monroe Community Services is offering a summer camp called Vacation at the Park. Each week of camp, counselors, known by campers as “green shirts,” will guide campers ages 4-9 through six weeks of summer fun. The camp is designed to get children active, to learn new skills, be creative, make new friends, and to encourage independence by taking on new challenges.
The camp will be held at the Tipp City Park Round House from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Monday through Friday. The cost is $70 resident/$80 nonresident per week. For more information on camp and to register, visit tmcomservices.org.
According to the camp organizer, Katie Sonnanstine, “Different organizations, through their public education programs, will visit weekly to share their knowledge with the campers.” Campers will make themed crafts, have scavenger hunts, play games, color and complete STEM activities related to the theme of the week. Sonnanstine encourages everyone interested to sign up early on the TMCS website. Space is limited.
The camp themes and dates are as follows:
• Shark Week-June 13-17: Don’t go in the water…Shark Week is coming! This week’s campers will be submerged in a fun-filled week of educational crafts and FIN-tastic activities about sharks including: playing a shark attack jumping game, creating sharknados, making origami shark cootie catchers, learning fun facts about the different kinds of sharks, and participating in an ocean themed scavenger hunt in the park.
• Disney Week-June 20-24: This is sure to be the happiest week on earth for campers. They will make Frozen slime, create their own Disney puzzles, go Rockin’ Olaf bowling, grow a snowflake, and participate in a Disney scavenger hunt. This week will also include a Birthday Party for all camp participants. Disney costumes are encouraged.
• MARVELous Week-June 27-July 1: This week of camp will be full of MARVELous games, crafts, and activities. Participants will learn their superhero names, make superhero zipper pulls, make their way through a superhero obstacle course, participate in a Captain America shield toss, make superhero slime and more. Superhero costumes are encouraged.
• Noisy Science Week-July 11-15: Did you hear? This week’s camp will be all about sound. Get ready to make some noise this summer with noisy science activities, experiments, games, and crafts. Participants will see what makes snowballs sizzle, how to make sound vibrate over flat surfaces, make a chicken in a cup noise maker, build a paper cup and string telephone, make a harmonica, and more.
• Dinosaur Week-July 18-22: Explore the prehistoric world of dinosaurs. Campers will dig this week of camp! Activities will include making dinosaur fossils, a dinosaur scavenger hunt, and make dinosaur slime. Linda Raterman from the Miami Co. Soil and Water Conservation District will be the special guest this week.
• Beat the Heat Week-July 25-29: Campers will experience summer and water fun during the week by tossing water balloons, balancing wet sponges on their heads, racing with leaky buckets, painting fireworks, and experimenting with tie dye paints and slime. Linda Raterman from the Miami Co. Soil and Water Conservation District will be the special guest this week.
This year’s Vacation at the Park is sponsored by Monroe Federal, Thrivent Action Teams, and Thrivent Financial-Matt Buehrer. Visit the TMCS website and Facebook page for updated information on each week of camp.
Tipp Monroe Community Services is a local nonprofit organization responsible for identifying and filling the needs of Tipp City and Monroe Township residents. They provide recreational, educational, cultural and social service programs. For more information on the programs offered at TMCS contact Katie Sonnanstine at 937-667-8631 or visit tmcomservices.org.