Voters decide on issues, candidates


Staff reports

MIAMI COUNTY — Voters went to the polls during early voting and on Tuesday to decide on an array of issues for the May Primary Election.

Only one contested race, for a Third Ward Troy City Council seat, was on the ballot.

All results are unofficial until the board conducts its official canvas of results at 5 p.m. May 18.

There was a 7.70 percent voter turnout with 5,779 total votes cast out of 74,988 registered voters in the county.

• Miami County Combined Health District 0.4-mill renewal levy

Following a more than a year-long pandemic, voters supported a renewal levy for the Miami County Combined Health District.

This 0.4-mill levy, which generates approximately $500,000 annually and from which funds are used to cover various operating and program costs, appeared on the ballot in any area that is unincorporated, but not on the Troy or Piqua ballot.

The renewal passed with 2,147 voters in support of the levy and 715 against.

• Troy City School District 5.8-mill renewal levy

TROY — Troy residents OK’d the renewal of a five-year, 5.8-mill levy for Troy City Schools. The levy will generate $3.72 million per year for operating costs for the district. The levy was first passed in 1996.

The levy passed with 2,143 votes for the levy and 846 against.

Superintendent Chris Piper said the district has scaled back its budget, cutting expenses and not filling vacant positions from retired staff in order to save money.

In April 2020, the district failed to pass a bond issue for its neighborhood school plan and failed to pass an additional 0.25 percent earned income tax in November.

• Troy City Council, Third Ward seat

Samuel J. Pierce will fill the Third Ward seat on Troy City Council being vacated by John Schewser, who announced he wouldn’t run for another term after serving seven consecutive terms.

Pierce received 161 votes, or 69.10 percent, while Joseph Girolamo received 72 votes, or 30.90 percent.

Pierce will take office in 2022 due to no party opposition in the November General Election.

• Troy City School District, Troy-Hayner Cultural Center 0.85-mills operating levy

The Troy-Hayner Cultural Center renewal levy was supported by voters on Tuesday. The levy passed with 2,251 votes for and 746 against.

The levy is a renewal of the current 0.85-mill levy and will generate $592,520.02 annually for the next five years.

The 0.85-mill renewal is essential to the continued operation of the Hayner Center, according to executive director David Wion. The levy provides approximately 82 percent of Hayner’s operating, maintenance and programming budget. The remaining 18 percent of Hayner’s income is generated from donations, fees and grants.

• Piqua City School District, Piqua Public Library 1.8-mill levy

The Piqua Public Library requested, and voters said yes, to the renewal of the 1.3-mill levy, which has been in place with no increases for 10 years, as well as an additional .5-mill, for a total request of 1.8 mills. This .5-mill increase in the levy is to cover cost increases, according to Friends of the Piqua Public Library Board Treasurer Susan Haas.

According to Friends of the Piqua Public Library Board President Ruth Koon, since its first approval 10 years ago, the levy has gone toward operational expenses for the library, including books, utilities, and salaries.

The renewal passed with 595 votes in support of the levy and 252 against.

• Tipp City 0.25 percent income tax renewal

Voters in Tipp City said yes Tuesday to renewing a 0.25 percent income tax levy.

The 0.25 percent income tax is set to expire June 30, 2021, with the renewal commencing on July 1, 2021, until June 30, 2031, as well as a 0.25 percent income tax set to expire Dec. 21, 2022, with the renewal commencing on Jan. 1, 2023, until Dec. 31, 2032.

The levy appeared on the Nov. 5, 2020 election ballot and failed by 83 votes. The language of the levy was updated to highlight that it is not an increase in taxes but a continuation of income tax levies that have previously passed for Tipp City.

Funds that would be accrued from the levy passing would go into the city’s capital improvement plan, which funds improvement projects within Tipp City such as repairing, replacing, improving and expanding roads, streets, alleys, stormwater systems, buildings, structures, and other physical assets such as vehicles and equipment.

The renewal passed with 564 voters in support of the levy and 194 against.

More information on the election will be published in Thursday’s Miami Valley Today.

No posts to display