Covington advances two to quarterfinals at state wrestling


COLUMBUS — Two Covington wrestlers made quick work of their first round opponents, while three wrestlers fell into the consolation rounds during the opening day of the Division III State Tournament at the Jerome Schottenstein Center on Friday.

First Jericho Quinter (32-5) put together a dominant performance in his opening match at 113 pounds by pinning Drew Spreng of Loudonville in 1:02. The Buccaneer sophomore took the action to Spreng at the outset as he recorded a quick takedown and went to work for back points, which resulted into a pin. Next, in the championship quarterfinal, Quinter faces Max Hermes (54-3), who was a state champion a year ago at 106 pounds.

Chase Vanderhorst (29-3) spent four seconds less on the mat than Quinter did as he pinned Connor Robbins of Willard in 58 seconds. Vanderhorst, who hopes to join his brother Cael and uncle Craig as a state placer, advances to tomorrow morning’s championship quarterfinal against Wesley Wydick of Utica (43-3).

At 106 pounds Carson Taylor faced unbeaten Hunter Lacy of Seneca East (35-0) in his opening match. Taylor came up short on a scramble for an early takedown and just couldn’t keep pace with his senior opponent, as he dropped an 11-0 major decision.

The Buccaneer sophomore then faced Hunter Newell of South Range in the opening round of consolations and dropped a very close 3-0 decision. Taylor ends his sophomore season with a very impressive 39-10 record.

At 120 pounds returning state placer Michael Hagan was leading Brian Luft of Newark Catholic (27-8) 5-4 late in the third period after a beautiful reversal. Unfortunately, Luft was able to respond with a reversal of his own that put the Buccaneer wrestler on his back for a pin with just 17 seconds left in the match.

Hagan then faced Nathan Parks of Seneca East in the opening round of consolations and controlled the action throughout en route to a 12-5 victory. He looks to secure a spot on the podium tomorrow morning in the second round of consolations.

Buccaneer senior Scott Blumenstock proved he belonged at the state tournament as he nearly upset Jacob MacLean of Liberty Union (40-5), who was the champion out of the Heath District. Unfortunately, Blumenstock came up short by the score of 4-2 as MacLean was able to score a late takedown and a penalty point to escape with the win.

In the opening round of consolations, Blumenstock advanced to the second day of the tournament as Javen Gaines of Tinora had to default by injury. The Buccaneer is one win from becoming a state placer as he will compete in the second consolation round tomorrow morning.

No posts to display