St. James Episcopal Church, 200 years of service
PIQUA — Having watched the Rev. Alvah Guion, 1832-1841, use his agreed upon 50 percent of time as a priest doing missionary work in the surrounding area, it now shows how he used his considerable organizational skills to put this first St. James on a solid foundation.
St. James Episcopal Church history: 1823-present
PIQUA — In 1840 St. James was in its first Church, built at the corner of North and Spring Streets in Piqua, at the cost of $1,411. The Alvah Guion had been called as Rector, after the church’s first Rector, the Rev. Gideon McMillan left after his two years of service. Guion would be with the church from 1832 to 1841. He is the Priest who did so much missionary work in the surrounding area preaching and baptizing under the trees.